Scroll Sawing with Dave Whittier: Tuesday November 2nd, 2021 at 7:00 PM

Are you thinking your next purchase will be a scroll saw?  Are you feeling guilty about your scroll saw collecting dust in the corner of your shop these last two years?  Either way, if you're looking for inspiration to get scrolling, November's meeting might just be the one for you.  Or maybe you're just scrollcurious?  That's fine too.  Join us in our monthly OWA Zoom meeting, first Tuesday in November (the 2nd) 2021.

Why?  First I'll just let Dave Whittier's photo-collage explain:


Or maybe you'd like to read a few biographical paragraphs in Dave's own words:

I started out in the wood working hobby by making clocks using bullets as the minutes and seconds and using a Dremel tool to carve out animals on the clock face.  I decided at one point approx 20 years ago that I wanted to try scroll saw work.  I purchased a scroll saw from Canadian Tire which turned out to be a waste of money.  (Always remember you get what you pay for.)  I finished my first project with the Canadian Tire scroll saw, then went out and purchased a DeWalt (best money I ever spent). 

I never wanted to make the easy, stacked items that you see at craft shows; they just were not challenging enough.  The first item I made was called The Rose Shelf and it took me many hours to finish, but when I finished it I was certainly proud of it.

I have watched many videos and read numerous articles on scroll saw work.  Many of the so-called experts do things that just don't make sense to me.  I have learned many easier methods of doing things just simply by spending hundreds of hours in front of my scroll saw making dust.

I originally had no intention of selling my wood working but eventually you run out of space at home.  I was asked to put my scroll saw work into a wood working show at our local library and received many nice comments.  An artisan from our local artisans co-op attended and convinced me to apply to the coop.  Joining the coop turned out to be a blessing as many others get to view my work and my sales have been great.

The coop requires that all members have to work shifts.  About a year ago two couples came into the coop and I overheard the one gentleman say to the others "Come and look at this wood working first.  It's amazing, I would really like to know what machine and computer program the artist uses to produce this quality of work."  I promptly told the customers that the only machine used was a scroll saw and my hands.

I explained the process to them:  1) find or make the pattern 2) find and plane the right wood 3) attach the pattern to the wood 4) drill the hundreds of holes that some pieces require 5) sit and cut then move the blade to the next hole and repeat over and over 6) when all cutting is done final finishing is required.  They were blown away that anybody would go to so much work as a HOBBY.

We all take great pride in what we produce BUT to have other people really appreciate your work then purchase that work is very very gratifying.

thanks


If you haven't guessed it by now, Dave Whittier is to be our feature presenter at our November Zoom get-together.  The topic: Going for a Scroll with Dave.  Look for a Zoom invitation coming to an e-mail box near you soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ottawa's Alex Low on Boat Building

Jack Forsberg Unplugged on First Tuesday in October

Season Launch: Tuesday 13th September